Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Custom Van by Michael Ian Black or: Enjoy This Blog Which I Am Only Able to Write Because of a Generous Grant from the Makers of Barq's Root Beer

A charming collection of essays, Michael Ian Black's book My Custom Van and 50 Other Mind-Blowing Essays hat Will Blow Your Mind All Over Your Face, ranges from stream of consciousness, to series of letters, to plans for the future, to an acceptance speech for a literary award. Somehow, it manages to cover a vast amount of topics and styles without falling flat once. Sure, some essays aren't quite as good as others, but on their own they aren't bad. Being great instead of amazing isn't something to be ashamed of, either. However, just like Michael Ian Black himself, these essays aren't for everyone. I imagine some people would be offended by the gratuitous use of the word fuck in “Taco Party”, or the subject matter of “Why I Used Day-Glo Magic Marker to Color My Dick Yellow”. But I think everyone would enjoy peeking into Billy Joel's head (or at least what Michael Ian Black thinks is in there) as he drives to a party where he knows there will be a piano, or his meditation on salami. One of his essays I thought particularly stood out was one the last ones, which has the cumbersome title of “Chapter 19 Of My Science Fiction Epic, The Pirates Of Dagganon 6, Which I Am Only Able to Write Because of a Generous Grant from the Makers of Barq's Root Beer”. In this part of a story, Michael Ian Black is able to blend a surprisingly interesting sci-fi story about space pirates, with a satirical look at product placement. In chapter 19 of The Pirates of Daggananon 6, Barq's Root Beer is not only featured prominently in an incredibly tacky way, but also is a vital plot device. The carbonation gives the dashing pirate just the inspiration he needs in order to escape from the space fuzz, which we can only hope is indicative of how our hero always gains his inspiration. Ridiculous? Yes. Entertaining? Also yes. Michael Ian Black's book may just be a way to entertain his own fan base, with little regard to anyone else, but it does that well. To sum up how I feel about this book, I'll use the same words the author used to describe his custom van: a million radical. Go to your local bookstore/library/friend who owns this book and then buy/check out/borrow it, then read it.

No comments: