Monday, November 24, 2008

An Evening with the Nerdcore Crew or: The Best Night Of My Life

So, MC Frontalot, MC Lars, and YTCracker came to town Friday, and I've been excited ever since I heard. I didn't think acts that cool would come to my shitty town, but they did. The show was excellent. Well, the people I came to see were excellent anyway. I had to suffer through an opening act, that was shitty by even terrible rap standards. I didn't come to a nerdcore hiphop show to hear some douchebag stumble lyrically over half-assed beats about weed and sex. I came to hear raps about video games, the internet, and D&D. But hey, it just made the real acts look better. After that act, came YTCracker and MC Lars. This was like 2 sets in one, oddly enough. They started playing YTCracker solo songs, with MC Lars backing him up. They were great on stage together. Always giving each other high fives, getting the crowd into it with chants and singing along, the two MCs constantly thrusting the microphones into the audience, getting us to sing their songs. Maybe a bit narcissistic, sure, but it makes for a good show. Then, the rest of the set was MC Lars' songs as well as songs from his collaborative album with YTCracker. In essence this was the same, but they added videos that Lars had prepared for these songs. OK, Lars, look. You know how to work a crowd, you had us entertained. You did not need to add videos to the equation, man. Maybe in a big venue, but this was a basement of a pizza parlor. You were doing fine. The videos were great, but they did detract a bit from your presence. You interacting with us was way better than the videos, no matter how funny and clever they were. After a short break, the main event took the stage: MC Frontalot. He was, by far, the best showman of the night. He didn't involve the audience as much as his tourmates did, but how could he? I mean, the man was moving in ways I can't describe, let alone emulate! If he was to add chants and get the mike into the audience while doing that, he'd be some sort of god. But he's not, and the dancing was much better. So he made the right choice. His bandmates knew what to do on stage too. Blak Lotus, played a sliding note by rubbing his bass against a beam. The SturGENiUS, the drummer, had the right idea too. His drumming is exactly what I love to hear. Unobtrusive, but when you pay attention you realize it's creative and just excellent. Which is exactly what his stage presence was like. Nothing too fancy, but if you took a look at him, he was always grooving. Just having a real good time. All in all, the show was well worth the money. It would have been worth it at 3 times the amount. At 10 bucks, it felt like I was ripping them off. But it was a great show.


  Most people my age probably do the same thing my friends and I do after a concert: go to Dennys. But this time, it was going to be different. I had an idea. This idea started as half joke, half crazy dream. I was going to ask MC Frontalot to go to Dennys with us. So before the show, as I was buying some merch, I told him we were going to Dennys, and he was invited, our treat. He said he'd check with the band, but he thought they might be pretty tired. I figured he was just brushing us off, but trying not to be a dick about it. Whatever, I figured it was a long shot anyway. I enjoy the show, get my face rocked off, have a lot of fun. After the show, I decide to try again, give him directions to Dennys. He said he might join us after they pack up. Once again, figured he was just brushing us off. We go to Dennys, eat, hang out for about an hour. As we're deciding not to wait any longer, lo and behold, Frontalot and crew come striding through the door. So I got to hang out with MC Frontalot and MC Lars at Dennys. Frontalot did the whole “I'm famous, I don't need to order off the menu” thing, but without being a total ass. Lars was a bit energetic, which was surprising, and it was a bit overwhelming. After they ate, Sam and I shared a cigarette with MC Frontalot, and he told us some Hollywood secrets ( they involved maxi pads), paid the bill and we left. But not before getting a handshake from Lars and a hug from the Front. So far, it was the best night of my life.

No comments: